This page is under construction (27 July 2002);  notes and links to Hickman events will be added soon.
A Chronology of the Years 1870-1872
Adapted from Andrew Jensen, Church Chronology, 2nd Ed., 1914, pp.82-89.
(Used by permission of the LDS Church, who claims the copyright).

  So many events that are pivotal in Hickman family history happened between 1870 and 1872 that they should be viewed as they fit in among the details of the history of the Latter-day Saints Church.  Few people today know of the work of Andrew Jensen, but he was an incredible historian, who as a part of his work compiled a detailed chronology of LDS Church history, of which the following is but a segment:


  The women of Utah were enfranchised.  The Liberal Party was organized in Salt Lake City, and commenced its warfare against the "Mormons." The annual muster of the Utah militia was forbidden by Gov. Schaffer. Judge James B. McKean commenced his inglorious career in the Territory. Dr. Taggart, assessor of internal revenue, made a despicable attempt to compel the Church to pay an enormous tax on tithing, but failed in his scheme.

January.--Sat. 1.--The first number of the Ogden Junction, a semi-weekly newsaper, was issued at Ogden, by the Ogden Junction Publishing Company; Franklin D. Richards, editor.  Later it was edited by Charles W. Penrose. The paper was continued under that name until Feb. 14, 1881.

  --The first number of the Mormon Tribune, a weekly paper, was published by the Godbeites, in Salt Lake City.

Sun. 9.--Bishop Chauncey W. West, of  Ogden, died at San Francisco, Cal.

Mon. 10.--The last rail of the Utah Central Railway was laid and the last spike driven, at Salt Lake City, by Pres. Brigham Young, in the presence of 15,000 people.

Tues. 11.--The nineteenth annual session of the Utah legislature assembled in Salt Lake City, and organized by electing Geo. A. Smith president of the Council, and Orson Pratt speaker of the House. It was an important session.

Wed. 12.--Woodhull Bros. shipped the first car-load of ore over the Utah Central Railway.

Thurs. 13.--A great mass meeting was held by the ladies of Salt Lake City, to protest against the passage of the Cullom anti-polygamy bill, which had been introduced in Congress. Similar meetings were subsequently held by the ladies in most of the settlements in the Territory.

  --The first coal shipped by rail, direct to Salt Lake City, arrived there, consisting of two carloads from the Wasatch Coal Company's mines, consigned to Frederick A. H. F. Mitchell.

February.--The "Liberal Party" of Utah was formed by a union of the Gentiles and Godbeites of Salt Lake City.

Thurs. 10.--A political mass meeting, appointed by the "Liberal Party" of Salt Lake City and held in Walker's old store, was carried by the "People's Party."

Fri. 12.--An act passed by the legislature, conferring the elective franchise upon the women of Utah, was approved by Acting-Governor S. A. Mann.

Thurs. 17.--Some soldiers from Camp Douglas beat an Indian boy and fired on the police, who interfered with and arrested them.

Thurs. 24.--Pres. Brigham Young, accompanied by a number of leading men, left Salt Lake City on a trip to the southern settlements. They arrived at the Colorado river, at the mouth of the Rio Virgen, Arizona, March 16th.

March.  -Wed. 2.--Elder Jabez Woodard died at Milton, Morgan Co.

  --The first number of the Keepapitchinin, a small semi-weekly periodical, devoted to fun and amusement, was issued in Salt Lake City, by Geo. J. Taylor and Joseph C. Rich.

Mon. 7.--Ole Bull, the great Norwegian violinist, arrived in Salt Lake City, on a visit. He gave two concerts in the theatre and left on the 10th.

Sun. 20.--Hon. J. Wilson Schaffer, seventh governor of Utah, arrived in Salt Lake City. He proved to be one of the most bitter officials that the Territory ever had.

Wed.. 23.--Although Delegate Win. H. Hooper made a very able speech in defence of religious liberty in Utah, the Cullom Bill was passed by the House of Representatives.

Tues. 29.--A company of 30 Elders returned to Salt Lake City from missions to the States.

Thurs. 31.--The citizens of Salt Lake City held an immense mass meeting to protest against the Cullom Bill, which had not yet passed the Senate.  Afterwards mass meetings were held in the settlements for the same purpose, and a petition drafted and forwarded to the Senate.

April.--Sidney Alvarus Hanks, one of the Pioneers of 1847, froze to death in Parley's Park, Summit Co., Utah.

  --The gallery in the large Tabernacle, Salt Lake City, was finished.

  --Camp Rawlins, a military post, was established near Provo, Utah.

  --An abandoned child was left at the door of Mrs. Prescinda L. Kimball--the first occurrence of the kind known in Salt Lake City.

Fri. 1.--The first number of the Utah Pomologist and Gardener, devoted to the orchard, vineyard, farm and garden, was issued by Joseph E. Johnson, at St. George, Utah.

Thurs. 7.--Elder Edward Stevenson preached in the Kirtland Temple, O.

Tues. 12.--The resolutions adopted by the Salt Lake City mass meeting, on March 31st, were presented to the U. S. Senate and referred to the committee on Territories.

Wed. 13.--Elder Moroni Bigelow was killed on the steamboat Mary McDonald and thrown into the Missouri river, between Camden and Wellington, Mo. He was returning from a mission to the States.

Sat. 16.--Pres. Brigham Young and party returned to Salt Lake City, from a preaching trip to the southern settlements.

Thurs. 21.--The dead body of Sidney Alvarus Hanks was found near Silver Creek, Summit Co.

Wed. 27.--Patriarch John Young, Pres. Brigham Young's eldest brother, died in Salt Lake City.

May.  Thurs. 5.--The 40th annual conference of the Church convened in Salt Lake City.  It was continued until the 8th.

Sun. 8.--General Philip Henry Sheridan and staff arrived in Salt Sake City, on a visit.

  --Rev. Geo. M. Pierce entered his field of labor as the first Methodist missionary in Salt Lake City.

Tues. 10.--A land-slide in Bingham Canyon resulted in the death of Charles A. Freeman and James Leicester.

Thurs. 12.--Amasa M. Lyman, once a member of the Twelve Apostles, was excommunicated from the Church for apostacy.

Fri. 13. -- Geo. Knighton and Henry Langford were drowned in the Jordan river, northwest of Salt Lake City.

  --Col. M. T. Patrick, U. S. Marshal for Utah, arrived in Salt Lake City.

Sat. 14.--Nathaniel H. Felt and Thos. Jackson arrived at Salt Lake City, with a small company of Saints from New York State.

Fri. 20.--Elder Wm. I. Appleby died in Salt Lake City.

Fri. 27.--James Taylor, Apostle John Taylor's father, died in Salt Lake City, 87 years of age.

Sat. 28.--The corner stones of the Provo Co-operative Woolen Factory were laid.

June.--The grasshoppers did much damage in the Territory.

  --Horace S. Eldredge succeeded Albert Carrington as president of the European Mission.

Sun. 5.--The first number of the Salt Lake Daily Herald was issued; Wm. C. Dunbar and Edward L. Sloan, publishers; Edward L. Sloan, editor.

Mon. 13. --Johan C. Christensen was killed by lightning,while in the field irrigating, near Ephraim, Sanpete Co.

Fri. 17.--In the Probate Court at Manti, John Steward, of Fairview, Sanpete Co., was sentenced to be shot, for the killing of Sally Woodward, an Indian girl, some time previous.

Thurs. 23.--Fifteen wagons, loaded with machinery for a woolen factory at Beaver, left Salt Lake City.

Tues. 28.--A company of 20 Saints sailed from Liverpool, England, on the steamship Colorado, for the United States.

July.--Pres. U. S. Grant appointed James B. McKean chief justice and Vernon H. Vaughan secretary of Utah. They succeeded Judge Charles C. Wilson and Secretary S. A. Mann.

Sun. 3.--Albert Carrington was ordained one of the Twelve Apostles, in Salt Lake City.

Fri. 8.--James Hendricks, who was crippled at the Crooked River battle, Oct. 25, 1838, died at Richmond, Cache Co.

Tues. 12.--Lady Franklin, widow of Sir John Franklin, visited Ogden, on her return trip from searching for her lost husband. She afterwards visited Salt Lake City.

Wed. 13. --The steamship Manhattan sailed from Liverpool, England, with 269 British, German and Swiss Saints, in charge of Karl G. Maeser.  The company arrived at New York July 26th, and at Salt Lake City Aug. 5th.

Wed. 20. --The steamship Minnesota sailed from Liverpool, England, with 357 Saints, mostly Scandinavians, in charge of Jesse N. Smith.  The company arrived at New York Aug. 1st, and at Salt Lake City Aug. 10th.

Sat. 23.--Geo. Francis Train lectured in the Salt Lake Theatre, in defence of Brigham Young.

August.  Mon. 1.--At the general election in Utah, Wm. H. Hooper received over twenty thousand votes for delegate to Congress, and Geo. R. Maxwell, the Liberal candidate, only a few hundred.

Fri. 12.--A discussion commenced in the large Tabernacle, Salt Lake City, between Apostle Orson Pratt and Dr. John P. Newman, chaplain of the U. S. Senate, on the question: "Does the Bible sanction Polygamy?"  It was continued three days.

Sat. 13.--S. D. Woodhull, of the firm of Woodhull Bros., the earliest active mining operators in Utah, was shot in Little Cottonwood Canyon, in a difficulty over a claim.  He died on the 14th.

Sat. 27.--The establishment of Paul Engelbrecht was broken up, and his stock of liquors destroyed under authority of Salt Lake City, because he sold liquor without a license.

  --Pres. Brigham Young and party left Salt Lake City for southern Utah, from which he returned Sept. 24th.

Mon. 29.--Alderman Jeter Clinton and several police officers were arrested by the U.S. marshal for participation in the abatement of the Engelbrecht liquor establishment.

Tues. 30.--Martin Harris,one of the Three Witnesses to the Book of Mormon, arrived in Salt Lake City. He was 88 years old.  In the ensuing conference he bore a faithful testimony to the truth of the Book of Mormon.

  --Judge James B. McKean arrived in Salt Lake City.

September.  Fri. 2.--The first number of the semi-weekly edition of the Salt Lake Herald was issued.

Mon. 5.--Chief Justice James B. McKean was assigned to the Third Judicial District, and forthwith commenced his infamous official career in Utah.

Wed. 7.--The steamship Idaho sailed from Liverpool, England, with 186 Saints, in charge of Frank H. Hyde. The company arrived at New York Sept. 21st, and at Ogden Oct. 1st.

Fri. 9.--Messrs. Jones & Robius began the erection of smelting works on the State Road, south of Salt Lake City.

Sat. 10.--A town site was located by Pres. Brigham Young at Kanab, Kane Co., and the following day a Ward organization was effected, with Levi Stewart as Bishop.

Wed. 14.--A company of Scandinavian Saints (19 souls), in charge of B. N. Walter, sailed from Liverpool, England, on board the steamship Nevada, bound for Utah.

Thurs. 15.--Gov. J. Wilson Schaffer issued a proclamation appointing Patrick E. Connor major-general of the Utah militia (Nauvoo Legion), and Wm. M. Johns assistant adjutant-general. On the same day he issued a proclamation prohibiting all drills, musters and militia gatherings, except upon his orders,or those of the U.S. marshal. He also ordered the delivery of all arms belonging to the Territory of Utah, or the United States (except those in possession of U. S. soldiers), to Col. Wm, M. Johns.

Tues. 20.--The first run of crude bullion was made at the first smelting works built in Utah, erected six miles south of Salt Lake City by Woodhull Brothers.

Thurs. 22.--On the night of this day a party of U. S. troops, stationed near Provo, made a raid on some of the citizens in that town, some of whom they abused shamefully.

October. Mon. 10.--The surviving members of Zion's Camp and the Mormon Battalion had an enjoyable party at the Social Hall, Salt Lake City. Of the members of Zion's Camp 32 were present, and 63 of the Battalion boys participated.

Wed. 12.--The old arsenal building in Salt Lake City was burned to the ground. 

Fri. 14.--A scientific exploring party from Yale College, under direction of Prof. Marsh, arrived in Salt Lake City.

Sun. 23.--The stage from Pioche was robbed near Nephi, Juab Co., by three men, who were afterwards caught and punished.

Mon. 31.--Gov. J. Wilson Schaffer died at his residence in Salt Lake City. Secretary Vernon H. Vaughan succeeded him as acting governor.

November.  Fri. 4.--Prof. Ferdinand V. Hayden, United States geologist, arrived in Salt Lake City.

  --In the Third District Court the jury returned a verdict against Salt Lake City, allowing Engelbrecht & Co., $59,063.25 damages. The case was appealed.

Tues. 8.--Gen. Chas. A. Washburn, U. S. minister to Paraguay, and Hon. Alvin Flanders. governor of Washington Territory, visited Salt Lake City.

Wed. 16.--A company of 59 Saints, in charge of Ralph Thompson, sailed from Liverpool, England, on the steamship Manhattan, which arrived at New York Dec. 2nd.   The company reached Salt Lake City, Dec. 11th.

Mon. 21.--The so-called "wooden gun rebellion" in the 20th Ward, Salt Lake City, occurred. Messrs. Charles R. Savage, Geo. M. Ottinger, John C. Graham, Charles and Archibald Livingstone, Wm. G. Phillips and Jas. Fennimore were arrested on a charge of treason and confined at Camp Douglas.

Wed. 23.--Charles R. Savage and the other prisoners were admitted to bail and liberated.

Fri. 25.--Pres. Brigham Young, Geo. A. Smith and Brigham Young, jun., left Salt Lake City for southern Utah, where they spent part of the winter.

December.  Fri. 2.--Richard Soper and Anton Valardie (?), guilty of committing rape, were killed between Levan and Nephi, Juab Co., while trying to escape from the officers.

Wed. 14.--Six members of Levi Stewart's family were burned to death in Kanab, Kane Co., Utah.

Sat. 24.--No. 1 of the Footlights, a programme of the entertainments at the Theatre, in Salt Lake City, was issued.

Wed. 28.--Richard Brown was shot and killed at Provo by John J. Baum, whose niece Brown had seduced. Baum was subsequently arrested, tried and acquitted, on the ground of justifiable homicide.


  This year Judge James B. McKean made himself obnoxious to the Saints in Utah by his absurd rulings and his judicial persecutions of the "Mormons". The settlements of the Saints on the Muddy, in Nevada, were vacated because of the excessive taxation. The people in Utah again subscribed liberally towards emigrating the poor Saints from Europe. The first Utah edition of the Book of Mormon was printed. Several hundred stands of the Italian honey-bee were imported into the Territory. The Utah Southern Railway was built to Draper, Salt Lake Co.  Latter-day Saint Sunday Schools were organized in all the large branches of the Church in the Scandinavian mission.

January. Tues. 17.--The Utah Southern Railway Company was organized, with Wm. Jennings as president.

Thurs. 19.--Mary Phillips, one of the old Herefordshire (England) Saints, died at Kaysville, Davis Co.

February.--Judge McKean made some absurd rulings in the naturalization of foreigners, making their belief in polygamy a test question.

  --The settlements of St. Joseph, St. Thomas and Overton, on the Muddy, were broken up, because of their being set off into Nevada, where taxation was oppressive.

Thurs. 2.--The nomination of Geo. L. Woods, of Oregon, for governor of Utah,and Geo.A.Black, of Illinois, for secretary, was confirmed by the U., S. Senate.

Mon. 6.--The meeting house, tithing office and post office in Pleasant Grove, Utah Co., was burned.

Fri. 10.--Pres. Brigham Young and Geo. A. Smith arrived in Salt Lake City from their winter visit to St. George.

Sun. 19.--The new governor, Geo. L. Woods, arrived in Salt Lake City.

March.--Geo. R. Maxwell's infamous memorial, praying for a seat in Congress, as a contestant against Wm. H. Hooper, was presented to Congress.

Thurs. 9.--The Deseret Philharmonic Society was organized in Salt Lake City, with David O. Calder as president.

Mon. 13.--Bishop Alfred Cordon died at Willard City, Box Elder Co.

Sat. 18.--Commercial Street, Salt Lake City, was opened.

Mon. 27.--The Salt Lake fire department was reorganized.

Fri. 31.--The Emma mine, in Little Cottonwood Canyon, was sold for $1,500,000.

April.--Numerous grasshoppers appeared in the northern part of Cache County. During the summer these insects again damaged the crops considerably in various parts of the Territory.

Mon. 3.--Mary Champlin, a survivor of the Haun's Mill massacre, died in Salt Lake City.

  --Gov. Alvin Saunders, of Nebraska, visited Salt Lake City.

Thurs. 6.--The 41st annual conference of the Church convened in Salt Lake City.  It was continued until the 9th.

Sat. 15.--The first number of the Salt Lake Daily Tribune was issued instead of the Mormon Tribune, suspended.

Tues. 18.--Ralph Waldo Emerson, the eminent litterateur, arrived in Salt Lake City, on a visit.

Mon. 24.--Bishop Peter Maughan, one of the founders of the Cache Valley settlements, died

May.--The Corinne Daily Journal, an anti-Mormon paper, was first published at Corinne, Box Elder Co., Utah.

Mon. 1.--Ground was first broken for the Utah Southern Railway.

Wed. 3.--Major J. W. Powell, the Colorado explorer,. and party arrived in Salt Lake City.

Wed. 10.--Elder Joseph Parry with ten Saints, sailed from Liverpool on the steam ship Wyoming, bound for Utah.

June.--Apostle Albert Carrington succeeded Horace S. Eldredge as president of the European mission.

Sun. 11.--The first camp-meeting ever held in Utah, took place in Salt Lake City, under the auspices of the Methodists.

Wed. 14.--While shoveling snow in American Fork Canyon, Clark Thompson was accidentally killed and a companion wounded.

Wed. 21. - The steamship Wyoming sailed from Liverpool, England, with 248 Saints, under the direction of Robert F. Neslen and Geo. Lake. The company arrived at New York July 3rd, and at Salt Lake City July 12th.

Mon. 26.--Pres. Brigham Young, Geo. A. Smith and others left Salt Lake City, on a trip to the northern settlements, returning in the latter part of July, after visiting Soda Springs, Bear Lake Valley, etc.

Wed. 28.--The steamship Minnesota sailed from Liverpool. England., with 397 Saints, in charge of Win. W. Cluff.  The company landed at New York July 13th, and arrived at Ogden July 21st.

Fri. 30.--Geo A. Black, acting-governor of Utah, issued a proclamation, forbidding the assembling of any of the militia of the Territory, to participate in the celebration of the 95th anniversary of American Independence, in Salt Lake City.

July.  Tues. 4.--Notwithstanding Act.Gov. Slack's proclamation against the assembling of the Territorial militia, the day was celebrated in good style in Salt Lake City.

Mon. 10.--Hon. S. S. Cox, of New York, visited Salt Lake City.

Wed. 12.--The steamship Colorado sailed from Liverpool, England, with 146 Saints, under the direction of Hamilton G. Park. The company arrived in New York July 25th, and at Salt Lake City Aug. 4th.

Thurs. 20.--The Pioneer Mill, Ophir Mining District (the first stamp mill in Utah), commenced running; Walker Bros., proprietors.

Fri. 21.--The Lady of the Lake, a little steamer bought by John W. Young and intended for an excursion boat on the Salt Lake, arrived in Salt Lake City. It was launched in the Jordan on Aug. 2nd.

Sun. 23.--A meeting and dwelling house, erected by the Saints in Christiania, Norway, was dedicated.

Wed. 26.--The steamship Nevada sailed from Liverpool, England, with 93 Saints, under the direction of Lot Smith. The company arrived at New York Aug. 7th, and in Salt Lake City Aug. 16th.

August. Tues. 1.--M. T. Patrick, U. S. marshal, took possession of the Utah Penitentiary, under protest of Albert P. Rockwood.

Fri. 4.--Briant Stringham, one of the Pioneers of 1847, died in Salt Lake City.

Wed. 9. - The steamship Minnesota sailed from Liverpool, England, with 60 Saints, under the direction of Wm. Douglass.  The company arrived at New York Aug. 21st, and at Ogden Aug. 30th.

Fri. 11.--Prof. J. D. Runkle, president of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, visited Salt Lake City. He was engaged in extensive explorations in Utah and Nevada.

Wed. 23.--A company for building the Utah and Northern Railway was organized, with John W. Young as president and general superintendent.

Sat. 26.--Ground was broken for the Utah and Northern Railway, at Brigham City.

Mon. 28.--Wm. Hutchinson was shot and killed, in Coalville, Summit Co., in self defence.

September.--At this time the U.S. officals in Utah acted more like bigoted missionaries than administrators of the law. Absurd rulings, illegal processes and packed juries characterized their proceedings.

Fri. 1.--The National Bank of Deseret commenced business on the corner of East Temple and First South Street, Salt Lake City.

Sat. 2.--U. S. Marshal Patrick made a demand of Warden Albert P. Rockwood to deliver up the prisoner Kilfoyle to the marshal's custody, which was refused on legal grounds.

  --The Deseret Telegraph Company extended a branch line to Coalville, Summit Co.

Wed. 6.--The steamship Nevada sailed from Liverpool, England, with 263 Saints, under the direction of John I. Hart. The company arrived at New York Sept. 18th, and at Ogden Sep. 27th.

Fri. 8.--After several days' preliminary examination before Associate Justice C. M. Hawley, Marshal McAllister and Warden Rockwood (Salt Lake City) were held to bail in $1,000 each to await the action of the grand jury.

Mon. 11.--A detachment of U. S. cavalry surrounded the houses of Messrs. John J. Baum and H. L. Davis, near Provo, Utah Co., and fired several shots at the former.  A packed grand jury had indicted Baum and Davis for murder.

Tues. 19.--Caleb Parry, missionary from Utah, died at Birmingham, England. He was buried in the same grave as James H. Flanigan, who died Jan. 29, 1851.

Fri. 22.--James Hendry was shot and fatally wounded at Hooperville, by the father and son of a girl, whom he had seduced.

Sat. 23.--The Utah Southern Railway was completed to Sandy.

Sun. 24.--The corner stones of the new Catholic Church, in Salt Lake City, were laid, the ceremonies being conducted by Rev. Patrick Walsh.

October.  Mon. 2.--Pres. Brigham Young was arrested by U. S. Marshal Patrick, on an indictment charging him with lascivious cohabitation with his polygamous wives. The President was guarded in his own house for sometime afterwards.

Tues. 3.--Daniel H. Wells was arrested by U. S. Marshal Patrick, on a charge of "lascivious and unlawful cohabitation," and placed under $5,000 bonds.

Sat. 7.--Geo. Q. Cannon and Henry W. Lawrence were arrested on charges of lascivious cohabitation; Cannon was placed under $5,000 bonds.

Mon. 9.--Pres. Brigham Young went into court. After several days' trial, Judge McKean (on the 12th) rendered a decision, admitting the defendant to bail in $5,000, and the case was postponed until the prosecution was better prepared for action.  In delivering his opinion the judge said that while the case was called "The people versus Brigham Young", its other and real title is "Federal Authority versus Polygamic Theocracy."

Tues. 10.--Hon. O P. Morton, senator from Indiana, accompanied by several distinguished ladies and gentlemen, arrived in Salt Lake City, on a visit. They used their influence against the Federal crusade, then being carried on in Utah.

Wed. 11.--A mass meeting convened in answer to the mayor of Salt Lake City, to adopt measures for the relief of the sufferers by the Chicago fire.

Thurs. 12.--A terrific wind storm visited Salt Lake City and vicinity.

Sat. 14.--Mayor Daniel H. Wells remitted $12,000 for the relief of the sufferers by the Chicago fire.  He subsequently sent another amount.

Wed. 18.--The steamship Nevada sailed from Liverpool, England, with 300 Saints, in charge of Geo. H. Peterson. The company arrived at New York, Nov. 1st, and at Salt Lake City, Nov. 11th.

Mon. 23.--The Deseret Telegraph line was completed to Pioche, Nevada.

Tues. 24.--Pres. Brigham Young left Salt Lake City for St. George, with the intention of spending the winter there. It was soon afterwards extensively published that he had fled from justice.

Sat. 28.--Mayor Daniel H. Wells, Hosea Stout and W. H. Kimball were arrested on a trumped up charge of murder, the notorious outlaw, "Bill" Hickman, being their accuser, and committed to the military prison at Camp Douglas.

  --Thomas Hawkins was sentenced by Judge McKean to three years' imprisonment and $500 fine, for adultery with his own wives. He appealed his case to the Territorial Supreme Court, but not being able to get $20,000 bonds, he was imprisoned.

Mon. 30.--In the Third District Court, Salt Lake City, Mayor Daniel H. Wells was admitted to $50,000 bail, for his appearance, when wanted, on the charge of murder.

November. Thurs. 2.--Captain Jacob Hamblin met in council with the principal chiefs of the Navejo Indians, at Ft. Defiance, and concluded a treaty of peace with them in behalf of the people of Utah.

Mon. 6.--James P. Brown, a member of the Mormon Battalion, died at Rockville, Kane Co.

Thurs. 9.--The site for the St. George Temple was dedicated.

  --The Deseret Telegraph Company opened an office at Paris, Bear Lake Co., Idaho.

Mon. 20.--Elder Caleb W. Haws, missionary from Utah, died at Barugh Bridge, near Barnsley, Yorkshire, England.

  --The corner stones of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in Salt Lake City. were laid, Rev. Geo. M. Pierce officiating.

Wed. 22.--Ellen Sanders Kimball, one of the three Pioneer women of 1847, died near Salt Lake City, Utah.

  --Salt Lake City was entered under the "Town site law".

Sun. 26.--The Roman Catholic Church in Salt Lake City was dedicated.

Mon. 27.--Through intense malice, Judge McKean called up the case of Pres. Brigham Young and thus compelled him to travel all the way from St. George to Salt Lake City in the dead of winter.  The judge fixed the trial for Dec. 4th.

  --The Summit County Railway Companywas organized.

December.--The Salt Lake City authorities arrested a number of prostitutes, who subsequently were released by the Federal officials.

Wed. 13.--Alexander Burt, John L. Blythe, James Toms and John Brazier were arrested in Salt Lake City, accused of the murder of Dr. J. King Robinson in1866.  On the 19th Policeman Brigham Y. Hampton was arrested on a similar charge.

Mon. 18.--An examination of the Robinson murder case was commenced before Justice McKean, in chambers; it was continued for several days. On the 22nd Alexander Burt, one of the accused, was Discharged from custody.

Fri. 22--Harriet Page Wheeler Young, one of the three Utah Pioneer women of ;1847, died in Salt Lake City.

Sat. 23.--Patriarch John Murdock died in Beaver, Utah.

Tues. 26.--Pres. Brigham Young arrived in Salt Lake City from St. George.


  This year a secret society, called the "Gentile League of Utah," was organized in Salt Lake City, its alleged object being to breakup "Mormon Theocracy." Court proceedings against leading men in the Church were continued. The people of Utah again petitioned Congress for admission into the Union as a State.

January.--The Salt Lake City Street Railway Company was organized.

  --Judge James B. McKean refused to have Charles W. Baker arrested for perjury, notwithstanding the proof of his guilt.

Mon. 1.--Zera Pulsipher, formerly one of the seven presidents of the Seventies, died at at Hebron, Washington Co., Utah, over 82 years of age.

Tues. 2.--Pres. Brigham Young was in the Third District Court, but his case was continued until March. Judge McKean refused $500,000 bail for him, and the President was again guarded in his own house by U. S. Deputy marshals.

Wed. 3.--Charles W. Baker, the principal witness against Brigham Y. Hampton and others, declared under oath that his testimony in court against the accused was utterly false.

Mon. 8.--The twentieth session of the Utah legislature convened in Salt Lake City and organized by electing Lorenzo Snow president of the Council, and Orson Pratt speaker of the House.

Mon.15.--Elder James McGaw died at Ogden.

Sat. 20.--Alexander Burt was again arrested on the old charge of being connected with the Robinson murder case.

Wed. 24.--Charles W. Baker was arraigned before Justice Jeter Clinton, in Salt Lake City, for perjury. In default of $3,000 bail, he was sent to prison, awaiting the action of the grand jury.

Wed. 31.--James L. High, Deputy U. S. District Attorney, being directed by the U. S. Attorney General at Washington, D. C., and District Attorney Geo. C. Bates, to do so, requested the District Court to admit Brigham Young and other prisoners to bail. The court refused the application.

  --A concurrent resolution was passed by the Utah legislature for the election of delegates to a convention, to adopt a State constitution.

February.--A "deadlock" existed in the Utah Federal courts for want of funds to defray expenses.

Thurs. 1.--At the first masquerade ball held in Utah (in Faust's Hall, Salt Lake City), a fearful row occurred, in which Police Officer Andrew Smith was considerably hurt.

Sun. 4.--The Japanese Embassy arrived in Salt Lake City. On the 6th a reception was given it in the City Hall.

Mon. 5.--Edward Samuels and Wm. Hampton were killed by a snowslide in Big Cottonwood Canyon.

Wed 14.--Bishop Abraham Hoagland, of the 14th Ward, Salt Lake City, died.

Fri. 16.--The Utah legislature adjourned.

Sat. 17.--James G. Blair, of Missouri, delivered a powerful speech in defence of the people of Utah, in the House of Representatives, at Washington D. C.

Mon. 19.--A constitutional convention, for the adoption of proper measures for the admission of Utah into the Union, met in the City Hall, Salt Lake City.

  --John Cradlebaugh, formerly associate justice of Utah, died in poverty, at Eureka, Lander Co., Nev.

Thurs. 22.--The Japanese Embassy left Salt Lake City for the East.

Wed. 28.--Patriarch William Cazier, one of the first settlers of Juab County, died at Nephi.

March. Sat. 2.--The constitutional convention adopted a constitution and memorial to Congress, asking for the admission of Utah into the Union as a State, and then adjourned sine die.

Wed. 6.--Thos. Fitch, Geo. Q. Cannon and Frank Fuller left Salt Lake City for Washington, D. C., as delegates from the late convention, to present to Congress the claims of the proposed State of Deseret.

Thurs. 7.--Wm. W. Phelps died in Salt Lake City.

Wed. 20.--A deputation of friends, mostly ladies, paid a visit of condolence to Hosea Stout, Brigham Y. Hampton and fellow-prisoners, at the City Hall, Salt Lake City.

Fri. 22. Through malice, the prisoners (Hoses Stout, Brigham Y. Hampton, Alexander Burt, Wm. H. Kimball and John L. Blythe) were removed from the City Hall, Salt Lake City, to Camp Douglas, by order of U. S. Marshal Patrick.

Mon. 25.--Tracklaying was commenced on the Utah Northern narrow gauge railway at Brigham City, Box Elder Co.

April.  Tues. 2.--The new constitution of the State of Deseret was presented to both houses of Congress, and referred to a special committee, who subsequently reported adversely to Utah's admission as a State.

Thurs. 4.--The members elected to the legislature of the State of Deseret met in Salt Lake City and proceeded to organize. During the session Wm. H. Hooper and Thos. Fitch were elected senators to Congress.

Sat. 6.--The 42nd annual conference of the Church convened in Salt Lake City. It was continued daily until the 9th, when it was adjourned to the 14th, then to the 21st and closed on the 28th.

Mon. 15.--A decision was rendered by the Supreme Court of the United States in the Engelbrecht case, overturning the judicial proceedings in Utah for the last eighteen months, and declaring null indictments against about one hundred and twenty persons, some of whom had been imprisoned for some time.

Thurs. 25.--Pres. Brigham Young was released from custody on a writ of habeas corpus from Elias Smith, probate judge of Salt Lake County.

Tues. .30.--Hoses Stout, Wm. H. Kimball, Brigham Y. Hampton, John L. Blythe, Alexander Burt and James Toms were released by the Third District Court, on the strength of the Supreme Court decision, at Washington, D. C. John Brazier had previously been released.

May.  Thurs. 2.--Thomas Hawkins. of Lehi, was admitted to $5,000 bail, pending an appeal to the Supreme Court of the Territory, and liberated from prison.

Wed. 8.--Ira Reid was killed by lightning, at West Jordan, Salt Lake Co.

Fri. 17.--Columbus Delano, Secretary of the Interior arrived in Salt Lake City, on a visit.

Mon. 20.--Ground was broken for the American Fork (narrow gauge) Railroad, to run up American Fork Canyon.

Sat. 25.--The Salt Lake City Gas Works Company was organized.

June.--The first number of the Woman's Exponent, was published in Salt Lake City, Miss Lulu L. Greene editor.

Sat. 8.--The first passenger train was run on the Utah Northern Railway.

Wed. 12.--The First Presidency, in a general circular, called on the people for aid to gather the poor Saints from abroad. The sum of $14,000 was donated during the year.

  --The steamship Manhattan sailed from Liverpool, England, with 221 Saints, in charge of David Brinton. The company arrived at New York June 26th, and at Salt Lake City July 4th.

Sun. 16.--A company of about one hundred journalists from Iowa, arrived in Salt Lake City, on a visit.

  --Niels Heiselt, Jun., was killed on Twelve Mile creek, Sanpete Co., by Shiverute Indians, who also drove off considerable stock belonging to the settlers.

Wed. 26.--The steamship Nevada sailed from Liverpool, England, with 426 Saints, namely, 396 from Scandinavia, 28 from the British isles and two from Holland, in charge of Eric Peterson. The company arrived at New York July 8th, and at Salt Lake City July 17th.

July. Thurs. 4.--Shadrach Roundy, one of the Utah Pioneers of 1847, died in Salt Lake City.

Sun. 28.--The Saints who had settled on Twin Creek, Bear Lake Co., Idaho, were organized into a branch of the Church, called the Georgetown branch, with Philemon C. Merrill as presiding Elder.

Wed. 31.--The steamship Wisconsin sailed from Liverpool, England, with 179 Saints, in charge of Geo. P. Ward. The company arrived at New York Aug. 12th, and at Salt Lake City Aug. 20th.

August. Sat. 3.--The "Gentile League of Utah", and others, armed to the teeth, held a political meeting in front of the Salt Lake Hotel, Salt Lake City.

Mon. 5.--Elder Geo. W. Grant died near Bountiful, Davis Co.

  --At a general election in Utah for delegate to Congress, Geo. Q. Cannon received 20,969 and Geo. R. Maxwell 1,942 votes.

Thurs. 8.--The Rocky Mountain Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in Salt Lake City.

Fri. 9.--The Utah Southern Railway commenced to run trains to the Point of the Mountain, south of Draper.

Mon. 12.--Gen. James A. Garfield, after a short visit, left Salt Lake City for Montana.

Sat. 17.--Gen. Henry A. Morrow,with a body of troops, left Camp Douglas for Sanpete Valley, where Indian difficulties of a serious nature existed.

Thurs. 22.--General Morrow made a treaty with Ute Indians, at Springville, Utah Co.

Sat. 24.--Gen. Geo. B. McClellan and party arrived in Salt Lake City, on a visit.

Thurs. 29.--An attempt was made to assassinate Officers Brigham Y. Hampton and Alexander Burt, in Salt Lake City

  --Two houses of ill fame, kept by Kate Flint and Cora Rubodo,were abated in Salt Lake City, under municipal authority, the furniture and other effects being demolished.

Sat. 31.--Indians make a raid on Spanish Fork, Utah Co., stealing horses.

September. Mon. 2.--The Walker House, in Salt Lake City, was formally opened.

Tues. 3.--Ground was broken for the Salt Lake City water works, up City Creek.

Wed. 4.--The steamship Minnesota sailed from Liverpool, England, with 602 Saints, in charge of Geo. W. Wilkins. The company landed in New York, Sept. 17th, and arrived at Salt Lake City, Sept. 26th.

Sat. 7.--A treaty of peace was concluded by Gen. Morrow with several Indian chiefs, at Mount Pleasant, Sanpete Co.

Tues. 10.--The Bingham Canyon and Camp Floyd Railway Company was organized.

Sat. 21.--Miss Phoebe W. Couzins, of St. Louis, and Miss Georgie Snow, daughter of Judge Zerubbabel Snow, of Salt Lake City, were admitted to the bar in the Third District Court-the first ladies thus admitted in Utah.

Mon. 23.--The Utah Southern Railway was completed to Lehi, Utah Co.

Thurs. 26.--Indians killed Daniel Miller, near Bernard Snow's mill, in Sanpete Valley, and wounded his little son.

October. Fri. 4.--Wool was carded at the Provo Woolen Factory for the first time.

Mon. 14.--The Wasatch and Jordan Valley Railway Company was organized. Ground was broken for the road, Nov. 4th.

Tues. 15.--Pres. George A. Smith left Salt Lake City on his trip to Palestine. He was accompanied by Feramorz Little and daughter, and Willis T. Fuller. Afterwards he was joined by others.

Wed. 16.--The steamship Minnesota sailed from Liverpool, England, with 203 Saints, in charge of Thos. Dobson. The company arrived at New York, Oct. 29th, and at Salt Lake City, Nov. 7th.

Thurs. 17.--A delegation of Ute Indians (Wanderodes, Antero, Tabiona and Kanosh), accompanied by Dr. Dodge, Indian agent, and Geo. W. Bean, interpreter, left Salt Lake City for Washington, D. C.  There they had an interview with President U. S. Grant.

Sun. 20.--The Saints who had settled on the bench northwest of Richmond, Cache Co., Utah, were organized into a branch of the Church (now Lewiston), with Wm. H. Lewes as president.

November. Wed. 6.--Twenty-six Saints sailed from Liverpool, England, on the steamship Nevada, which, after several days' rough sailing, was forced to return to Liverpool.

Tues. 19.--The Palestine party, consisting of Pres. Geo. A. Smith, Apostle Lorenzo Snow, Elders Feramorz Little, Paul A. Schettler anu Geo. Dunford, Sisters Eliza R. Snow and Clara S. Little, arrived in Liverpool, England, from New York.

Tues. 26.--General Thos. L. Kane, of Pennsylvania, arrived in Salt Lake City, on a visit.

  --The Germania Smelting and Refining Works, the first of the kind in Utah, commenced operation on Little Cottonwood creek, below the State road.

  --The American Fork Railroad was completed to Deer creek, in American Fork Canyon.

December. Tues. 3.--Bengt Swenson, of Santaquin, died at Nephi, from the effects of bodily injuries, inflicted by M. Daley, of Payson, at the coal bed in Sanpete County, Nov. 30th.

Wed. 4.--The steamship Manhattan sailed from Liverpool, England, with 35 Saints, including those who had returned with the Nevada. The company, which was in charge of Daniel Kennedy, arrived at New York Dec. 21st, and at Salt Lake City a few days later.

  --Pres. Geo. A. Smith and party, having left London. Nov. 30th, arrived in Amsterdam, Holland, and Dec. 11th they arrived in Paris, France, after having visited Antwerp and Brussels, in Belgium.

Sun. 8.--Major J. W. Powell, chief of the Colorado Exploring Expedition, arrived in Salt Lake City, and reported that the exploration of the Grand Canyon of the Colorado was completed.

Tues. 17.--Pres. Geo. A. Smith and party visited Versailles and were admitted to the hall of the Corps Legislatif. In the evening they had an interview with M. Thiers, President of the French Republic.

Wed. 18.--John R. Clawson, a member of the Mormon Battalion, died in Salt Lake City.

Thurs. 19--The Utah Northern Railway was opened to Mendon, Cache Co.

Mon. 23.--Pres. Brigham Young and party, including Gen. Thos. L. Kane, wife and two sons, arrived at St. George, to spend the winter, having left Salt Lake City about December 12th.

Thurs. 26.--A snowslide at Alta, Little Cottonwood Canyon, resulted in the loss of several lives.

Fri. 27.--Susannah L. Richards, relict of the late Willard Richards, died near Mill Creek, Salt Lake Co.

Sat. 28.--In the Probate Court, Salt Lake City, Charles W. Baker was sentenced to two years' imprisonment for perjury.

To search elsewhere in Andrew Jensen's [LDS] Church Chronology, click here.
To return to the Hickman Family index page, click here.